Rent Our Ballroom
THE LEGACY BALLROOM is handled by A Catered Experience, a division of Zippy's RestaurantsLearn More
Your support is vital in promoting and preserving Okinawan culture.Learn More
Join Our Newsletters
HUOA Scholarships & Grants
Youths of Okinawan descent from around the world will learn about Okinawan history, culture, and nature while experiencing daily life with local Okinawan youths of the same age group. They will build strong bonds, and deepen their understanding of their Okinawan roots, the local Okinawan students will broaden their international outlooks, and grow the generation that will shoulder the Uchinaa Network.
2023 Application: CLOSED
Tentative program dates (Hawaii standard time):
Part 1: 6/24/2023 (Sat) 2:00～4:00 PM, online
Part 2: 7/8/2023 (Sat) 2:00～4:00 PM, online
Part 3: 7/29/2023 (Sat) – 8/4/2022 (Fri) 7 days in-person in Okinawa
Part 4: 10/28/2023 (Sat) 2:00～4:00 PM, online
Okinawan Prefectural Government offers a scholarship for young persons of Okinawan descent an opportunity to learn about Okinawan culture and other subjects of interest so that they can return to their communities and share what they have learned and experienced. Selected individuals will study at the University of the Ryukyus, Meio University (Nago City), Okinawan Prefectural University of Arts (Geidai), Okinawa International University (TBD). This scholarship includes air transportation, tuition, books, room, and board. For more information, please contact HUOA at 676-5400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
6 months from September 1, 2023 to March 31, 2024
2023 Application: CLOSED
Hui O Laulima is pleased to announce that applications for the 2024 Cultural Grant are being accepted.
Deadline for submission is July 31, 2023. Click here for information and application
A few of the criteria for selection include:
• Interest in the study, perpetuation and promotion, including goodwill projects of
Okinawan culture (music, dance, art, or other forms of artistic expressions),
language and history;
• Leadership ability;
• Community service;
• Financial need;
• Overall potential for success;
• Clarity of goal(s);
• Two letters of recommendation from individuals other than relatives.
All prospective grant projects/activities should take place from January through December, 2024.
Hui O Laulima has provided grants to individuals and organizations in our local Okinawan community with the greatest potential for the preservation, promotion, and perpetuation of the Okinawan culture.
2023 Cultural Grant Awardees:
- Jimpu Kai USA Kin Ryosho Ryukyu Geino Kenkyusho Hawaii Shibu: to fund airfare to Okinawa for 2 teachers to continue research/documentation, perform and conduct workshops through the Okinawa Prefectural University of the Arts.
- Maui Okinawa Kenjin Kai-Jimpu Kai Maui : to provide funding for Cheryl Nakasone senseiʻs airfare for monthly classes on Maui.
- Tamagusuku Ryu Senju Kai Frances Nakachi Ryubu Dojo: to fund airfare to Okinawa for 2 students to take their certification tests, accompanied by their sensei.
Visit Hui Makaala’s website for the latest update on the awarding of these scholarships to students going to college.
The deadline for 2023 applicants is May 31, 2022.